Monday, August 24, 2009

fabric art

I don't really think it's a big secret that I love fabric (I mean, really, don't we all?!) I frequently dream of plastering my walls with it. (Which you can do with liquid starch - but, I haven't tried it yet.)

So instead, I finally bought some stretcher boards from IKEA ($5!!). I had bought enough of this green and white damask to try the wall/starch thing, but ended up doing something else with it (which I will show you later this week - if you are interested....) So I put the remnant on my frame and plan on hanging it in the bathroom. I have all sorts of things I want to do with these now - like maybe a faux headboard....



Last week I saw this great post on Jen's blog. I had plans to frame this fabric anyway. I truly fell in love with it after making this bag. I just hadn't researched getting a large frame, etc, etc. Basically, I was procrastinating. Jen was nice enough to give me some good tips on how to do this affaordably. So I went that night to Michael's, coupons in hand and came home with this frame and filled it up. .


Now I just need to hang it. I'll take some after pictures.

The nice thing is, I can swap these out any time I want to change the look a bit. And all it will cost is the price of the fabric! Don't we all love a good deal like that?

Let me know if you've got some fabric art hanging around your house - I'd love to see it!

11 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Laura said...

Um Awesome!!! I think the headboard thing is a great idea. The stretcher board is the perfect solution for displaying fabric. Maybe I will have you help me design a headboard. I have a pretty bold quilt that I don't know what to pair with . . .

Unknown said...

I saw those in the Ikea catalog! was it easy to do?? Love framing fabrics - your fabrics look amazing!!

Jen said...

they both look great! That blue is is vivid in that bottom framed art. I love it!

Sarah said...

Great idea, Amy! Very creative as usual!

Lala said...

Hi Amy!!! I like the idea of framing fabric... and being able to change it out when the urge strikes/and inexpensively!

I've tried the using starch to put fabric up on the walls (in military housing a few years back...) found it works best on FLAT (as opposed to semi or gloss) finishes... just a tip!

:o) Lala

Karen said...

ikea - yes I could meet you there - if a girl could get a damn day off

tara said...

Fun idea. I put fabric into large embroidery hoops and then hung them on our playroom walls. You can find them at thrift stores for about 1$. I bought different sizes and they look like colorful bubbles on the wall.

Sarah McK said...

Very cool. I'd never thought of using fabric as a wall decoration. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that peacock fabric!

sewtakeahike said...

I can totally see why you wanted to frame that fabric Amy! It looks fabulous in the frame you chose.

Mary said...

I love the damask and the peacocks-- soo nice!

Debbie said...

super cute amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...