Tuesday, August 18, 2009

weekend homework - check!

I'm really pleased that I have my august blocks for a Notion or Two completed a whole two weeks before the 31st! I may just beat this procrastination thing yet!

These string blocks are for Sarah, and these fabric choices are a classic example of her great eye for color. (seriously, click on all those links to see some of her amazing quilts!)


We were directed to this tutorial in case we hadn't done string blocks before, which I hadn't. And I think I'm hooked now. Sarah included the 6" paper pieces for us - she had used an old phone book! Genius! The paper was nice and thin. Instead of just throwing it in the recycling I now know what to do with the phone book that was just delivered the other day.

My only annoyance were a couple teensy tiny corners that won't lay flat. And now upon further inspection will probably just be swallowed up in the seam allowance. Oh well. I love them though, and love the fun colors!

This block was made for Amy - Park City Girl. She sent us some gorgeous girly florals and some adorable hand embroidered squares that she had designed herself. She's a super creative soul - have you seen what else she has been up to?

I decided I wanted to put the embroidery into the center of a star and remembered all of those cool wonky stars that were out there last fall. I used this great tutorial and whipped it up in no time - because the tutorial was easy to follow, not because of me. It didn't turn out as wonky as I would have liked, but I still like it.

Now to get them in the mail before the 31st!

13 crafty mcCrafters commented:

rachel griffith said...

oh how pretty.
i heart them both!!!
:)

Sarah said...

Thanks for the shout out, Amy! Glad you like the new pattern!

Unknown said...

Fun linkfest Amy! Thanks :) Love LOVE your star block - Thank you!!

V and Co. said...

oh amy! wow how lovely!
i really want to do one of those spider web quilts. yours is so lovely.

allyn said...

the strip quilt is my next project for all of my scraps. it makes you look like a genius, too. the star is beautiful. i like that you added a border around the embroidered square.

i am sure you can't wait to see my catastrophe.

SewAmy said...

love the wonky star block. so cute.

Megan said...

Here i am! love the strip block, and now my head is whirring with ideas for my scraps.

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

love the string blocks!!

sewtakeahike said...

Hi Amy,
I was just thinking yesterday I need to do one of those wonky star blocks! We are so on the same page. Your blocks came out super sweet!

Victoria said...

The string pieced quilt top is beautiful, love all those colors, and what a great idea to add embroidery to your lovely wonky star. (I confess, when I wrote the tutorial, I was trying to make it as straight forward and simple to follow as I possibly could. However, I should have made mention that if you use triangle shapes cut a bit bigger then what I stated, you will have more leeway in how you position them and more possibilities in getting your star extra wonky. I have meant to make a note of that for ages on the tute, and I think it is high time that I do!)

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

You did a great job & I love them both!!

Shannon said...

WOW Amy!!! I decided awhile back that my obsession is paper, not fabric. But your blog makes it difficult to stay true to that!! Plus I really am making a quilt right now....will post soon I hope. :)

miss you!

Karen said...

dear God you are one busy girl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...