Monday, March 09, 2009

extreme makeover: craigslist edition - the reveal

One of my goals for the year has been to bring more color into my all-white rental. The Nester has inspired me to be more creative (like putting my dresser in the closet), to stop pouting about renting and make it beautiful anyway. So I'm trying.

My kitchen is a little challenging - while large square feet wise it is tiny on storage. So I had a baker's rack (read: boring and open-storage messy) and decided a cheap bedroom dresser painted up all fun would do just the trick.

(There is a reason there is not a paint color named craigslist brown.)

plus

and a little modge podge and fabric equals


After the first coat of paint I was really skeptical if I was going to like it. It's SO bright! It is exactly the color I picked out, but in reality brighter than I initially wanted. I moved it into the kitchen so I could give it a test drive, see if I needed to go darker, or calmer, or something-er.

I was thinking about glass knobs, but I was trying to keep this little project within a tight budget. So when I got these cute little fabric covered button magnets (Thanks Lolly!) made with the scraps from my quilting bee quilt, I realized that fabric covered knobs might be just the thing!

and I think they are.

budget: dresser 35$ + paint 12$ + primer 3$ + scraps (on hand) + modge podge (on hand) = 50$!!

(This dresser is going to be re-purposed to my sewing studio when I have a sewing studio. And when it's not needed in the kitchen!)


*****In other magnet news*****
Have you ever made these? little flat glass rocks + modge podge + amy butler scrapbook paper =


I think modge podge is going to be my new best friend.

25 crafty mcCrafters commented:

allyn said...

umm...you totally forgot to mention this when we spoke today. hello! it turned out so adorable. you were super swift in finishing it, too.
we are making the magnets at my first project of the month group meeting on monday. how big are those glass rocks? the ones i got are kind of small. i don't think that much of the flower would fit in them.

Rheannan said...

how dang cute!

Jana Nielson said...

I now think that you are the Queen of Furniture Makeovers.
I'm inspired to make over a few UGLY dressers in my house.

tara said...

I love it!!! And my favorite color. What a great idea for kitchen space.

sewtakeahike said...

It turned out great Amy, I'm glad you decided to follow through with that color! It will be a great addition to your future sewing room!

Lala said...

Hi Amy!!! FABULOUS color and GREAT redo!!! WHY can't I find any "Finds" like that in our area??? Hmmmmmm... going to keep my eyes PEELED!!!

And I have the flatrock magnets on my "inspiration/to do" list!

lala :o)

Darci said...

Love it! I am a huge fan of green.

Dana said...

I love that shade of green. I bet it really brightens up your kitchen!

And, Mod Podge, is already my best friend. But we've known each other for years and I'm happy to loan her out.

Shannon said...

oh that green is not like my first round of green--yours is way better!!! but i like round 2 and you've motivated me to get going and get it finished....right after my 2 business trips this and next weekend (boo!). :)

The Letteer Family said...

Wow! That looks great Amy! I love it!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Turned out great!! Funny...I painted the top (bottom was white) of my last kitchen that color. My dining room is a similar color.

I have always wanted to work with modpodge, but have never ventured. I think I will have to try now.

The Nester said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so thrilled for you--it's fantastic!

adding this to the Nest Files tumblr acct!

Debbie said...

That is soooo cute...the color is really pretty and the knobs are perfect!!! Love it!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

That's really cute! The fabric idea is great...must remember that one!

Cara said...

Green is so "NOW" - but I am surprised after your last post that you have forsaken blue! :)

Jenny said...

It turned out so nice. How adorable! And I'm sure it totally enhances the kitchen. Love, love, love it!

Unknown said...

This looks so great! Good job! I have never thought of a dresser in the kitchen - but I could use one too! I'm off to check out craigslist again :)

Julie said...

Amy, what a great idea & I LOVE the extra cool touch of fabric knobs. Very nice looking! :)

Carla Anne said...

Very cute!!! And even cuter in person! I really love the knobs...Good Job.

The Gathering Place said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love the dresser and buttons!
JoAnn

Debbie said...

http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/

Check this blog out...I thought you would like it...:)

Amy said...

I love your dresser redo! And the knobs are so cute! Love it, love it!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

How cute is that! I just love redoing old furniture & mod podging is a lot of fun too. What a cute project.

Sarah said...

You did a great job! I am so needing to step out of my comfort zone and start painting things! I can't wait! I have a few pieces to work on soon, I guess the sooner the better! :)

V and Co. said...

okay LOVE IT!!!! i may just have to give it a go!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...