Thursday, February 19, 2009

:*deep breath*:

Okay. breathe in, breathe out. I've decided to share a little something. Something that totally embarrasses me. Something few of my real-life friends have seen because I always shut the door!! I've seen a lot of my blogging buddies keeping it real. And I've decided it's my turn. I get a lot people saying things like, "where do you find the time?". Well, I find the time because I'm neglecting other things.

Things like this.

(but isn't that a nice duvet cover? sad it was lost in the clutter.)

See that dresser? Major clutter magnet. See the stack of cluttered reading material? Needs a home. See all those clothes in the corner? Also need a home.

One of the advantages of a sick sleepless baby is quiet time to nurse and blog surf. I'm not sure how I came across her, but I'm SO glad I did. The nester, as she calls herself, is totally inspiring when it comes to making your home home-y (not homely!). She blogs at The Nesting Place. She uses some of Flylady's principle (who has helped me be a better housekeeper) which I loved!

click above to see more about it!

The nester had a series over the last week or so about 10 minute room makeovers. The thing that I loved is that she also rents. I think I've used that as an excuse for not making my home nice to be in. Sure, I try to keep my main living room clean-ish so it looks presentable when people come over, but the rest of my house needed (some still needs) some serious help. Closet space issues aside, I decided to take the bull by the horns and make some much needed changes.

That's one of the new rugs I just recently bought - I love it in here, even though I originally got it for the living room.

Much better, no? I put our reading material in crates under our nightstands (which I plan on making covers for) and moved the dresser into the closet - per her suggestion. The 'bench' is the ottoman to a chair in our living room (there isn't really room for it in there). Now my husband can put his boots on in the morning without sitting on the bed and waking me up! I have fabric for pillowcases and such and now I'm inspired to get those done. And how about a cool fabric collage for a mock-headboard?

I had been wanting to move things around but our room is pretty small for that dresser AND a bed so I was having a hard time figuring out what to do. Once I thought that I might be able to move the dresser I couldn't go back to sleep! That morning I measured the dresser and the closet to make sure it would fit and it does - barely! Then I spent the rest of the day moving things out, in and around!! (thanks for your help, Megan!) And the rest of the day finding new homes for things. And getting rid of 3 boxes of stuff. Okay so maybe it took longer than 10 minutes. But whatever - it needed to be done.

It's amazing how much the room is opened up by moving the dresser. I love it! I actually want to go in there. And it makes me want to keep it clean.

Don't worry though. I still have piles of things to take care of.

Like this one.



It's not perfect - but it's improving!

22 crafty mcCrafters commented:

southerninspiration said...

Every little step is progress! Good for you!
Looks great!

Suzanne

Unknown said...

It's looking great - progress is progress! I love what a few minutes can do around my house - I rarely make it up to our room too, but living room and kitchen can be tidy in no time! Hope you sleep better in your "new" space!

allyn said...

ummm...i can't believe you put a picture of the cave on your blog. that's what i call it anyway because it is always a dark hole in the hallway when i am there. it looks LOVELY. now i am sad i haven't been in there. i hope you feel good because it always makes me feel good to get something organized and appealing. congrats!!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Love this! And don't feel bad about the before photos. My bedroom looks a wee bit like that right now...well a lot...probably worse :).

I LOVE that duvet. What a great idea to use Amy Butler fabric for a duvet!

Cara said...

Good work on the makeover! My room's a little "whatever" too. Sigh!

Crafty Niche said...

Great job on your transformation!

trish said...

Great job!! Every step counts. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Rachel Lundy said...

Good for you! And good luck with your remaining pile. I've got the same pile in a corner of my bedroom!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Looks great! That is a pretty duvet and love the rug!
~Misti

Anonymous said...

Love that duvet!

queenbee said...

Great job. I'd love to see a picture of your dresser in the closet.

The Nester said...

I love it and oh I cannot keep my eyes off of that glorious rug!

Unknown said...

I love your duvet. You've accomplished quite a transformation in a day's work! great job.

sewtakeahike said...

it looks great Amy! very nice work, way to go for it and finish it up!

Unknown said...

looks great! :-) thanks for sharing!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your bedroom looks nice. I love the brown and blue colors. Very restful. And your lamps are very cool!

Jen

Jodi said...

great progress & super love that duvet cover! Enjoy!

Julie said...

Very nice Amy. You are a good worker & I love your new rug & that you couldn't sleep once you figured out to move your dresser into the closet. That's awesome...something that would keep me awake too!
I remember way back when you mentioned the flylady, she helped me too!!!

Carrie @carrieloves said...

Brave, brave woman to show your bedroom. You've done a wonderful job! I love the area rug.

Janis said...

I agree, you are indeed brave. And inspired! I love what you've done. Moving the dresser into the closet? What a clever way to create the open feel you've got now. I LOVE it!

Amy said...

Good for you! And what great tips the nester has on her blog - almost inspires me to get organized - almost.

Debbie said...

hey i want to see a picture of the dresser in the closet.. great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...