Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Quilt lab book :: calculus-it's not just for high school math anymore!

I got to sew again yesterday!!!  A little while ago former quilt bee buddy, sewing summit and stash bash fellow attendee and friend  Ali of AsquaredW asked if I'd like to make a project from her new book, Quilt Lab, and put my own spin on it.  When she said the Calculus pattern was one of the patterns available I broke out into a cold sweat remembering the day I was studying for my AP Calc test many years ago and then bailed because I just knew I would fail it!

Fortunately, Ali has transformed tricky math into fun QUILT MATH!! With a pretty project to show at the end of the assignment, I was okay with helping her out! hahahha!

This is what my Quilt Lab aka design floor looked like yesterday morning as I was working on the placement.
I used the second row pattern from the quilt to start my project. The blocks finish at 5" and I was thinking I would use this as a panel for a zippy pouch.  But I felt like the movement of the design was lost if I used less than 4 blocks wide and it ended up being about  20" long. So I decided to make a mini and use it in my kitchen!

I was a little intimidated by the pattern at first but once I figured out that I was just making triangles to sew into squares - I calmed down a bit! Ha!  I really loved the way it turned out!

I used Vanessa Christensen's Simply Color (moda) ombre gray and turquoise for the solids.  It was fun to play the gradation of color!
The polka dots were so fun - Teal Pearl Bracelets, a DS quilts dot from Joann's and the other print was in the quilting section at Hancock's.  I just love the minty/aqua/turquoise-y feel of it all.

The best part is it looks awesome in my kitchen and now my bowl of bananas looks even more enticing!


Ali, thanks for asking me to play!  It was nice to work on a project from start to finish and be so happy with the results! I'm thinking I'm going to try again and reduce the template size by 75% and make that zippy pouch!

9 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Shan said...

Sweet!

Shan said...

Sweet!

Katy Cameron said...

Fun pattern (although I'm afraid it still won't sell me on evil bananas ;o) )

Ella said...

Love the turquoise! I will miss your turquoise-ness next week.

janequiltsslowly said...

Great pattern! I am really intrigued with triangles right now. I never got into Calculus, my advisor thought it would ruin my GPA. (boo!)

*Cornelia* said...

it looks so great, but all this shapes scare me totally, but anyway i want this book to step out of my comfort zone and learn new things

Marie said...

Beautiful - and great colours!

Rebecca Grace said...

This is adorable -- love your fabric choices as usual, and I confess that I also break into a cold sweat when I hear the word "calculus!" I'm curious about this book, though -- does the author really make meaningful math connections with the patterns throughout the book? I'm asking because I'm on the lookout for quilt projects with academic tie-ins that would be appropriate for gifted middle school students. These are kids who compete with one another to see who can memorize the most digits of Pi... The more math, the more excited they get!

Carla said...

Cool! Love the colors and I'm still intimidated by what you made. ;o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...