Wednesday, February 05, 2014

what's for dinner wednesday :: chili blanco

Hello everyone!


I know I missed a week - but you know what? That's okay!  We celebrated Brotherlouwho's birthday Friday and I was kind of caught up getting ready for that.  And I think we had ANOTHER snow day so my week got thrown off for sure!

Back in December I decided that this would be THE WINTER OF SOUP.  I know it's sounds ominous and exciting all at once!  And I've been trying to make soup at least once a week and not just all of our old standards.  So when my dear friend Megan (who gave me our favorite potato soup recipe EVER) handed this one over and said you need to make this, I had to oblige.

I'm not a connoisseur of the white chicken chili - but I've had it a few times.  I really liked this recipe because it was fairly simple and everyone ate it - oh, and it was delicious!  It also filled my huge 6 quart casserole so I know we can have it for dinner again or I can freeze some for later.

She told me that she makes the sweet & sour garnish mostly for the adults. I had to skip it this time because I didn't have everything I needed.  But I'm excited to try it next time! It's like a sweet and sour salsa to mix in. And feel free to add avocados - it's fun to be reckless like that!

Chili Blanco

4 cans drained small white navy beans
2 onions chopped
48 oz chicken broth
4 cups cooked chicken
2 cans drained corn
7 oz can chopped green chilies
6-8 cloves garlic minced
3 TBS chopped fresh oregano (1T dried)
4 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp cayenne

1 cup sour cream
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Juice of 1 lime (3 T bottled lime juice)

Saute onions in olive oil.  When they are browned put in a stock pot and add chicken broth.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.  Add chicken, corn, green chiles, garlic, oregano, cumin and cayenne.  Simmer for 1 hour.  Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and cheese until melted.  Top with Sweet and Sour Garnish.

Sweet and Sour Garnish

1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp celery seeds
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Blend and the add chopped tomatoes and cilantro.


Enjoy! Let me know if you try it!  What's your favorite winter soup?  I need more ideas.
 

3 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Kim said...

This looks SO yummy! SO yummy! I cannot wait to try this recipe! :)

xoxo Kim

Christina Bassi said...

Looks yummy! Gotta try this one. Hope you guys are doing well. :-)

Jenny said...

This will be perfect! I have a bunch of cooked chicken I need to use, and I just got online to find the perfect recipe for it. Looks like I found it! :)

I adored your letter in your latest post. Looks like all the writing you did at C&CS paid off ;) You're an exceptional writer!

-Jenny

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...