Wednesday, January 22, 2014

what's for dinner wednesday :: penne and sausage skillet supper



I have a love affair with the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.  And with Cook's Illustrated - the magazine put out by the same folks.  I kid you not, every recipe I've made from them is delicious and fairly easy.  They have a whole section on skillet meals - which I love!  They come together quickly, only require one pan and everyone loves them!

I've only made this one a few times and I need to remember to work it into our regular rotation.  A lot of the ingredients are things I usually have on hand, or are easily kept in the pantry or freezer.  

I hope you try it!

                                           ~ATK Family Cookbook
servings:Serve 4-6
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 25 minutes
total time: 35 minutes

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion , chopped fine
table salt
3 cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press
1 pound hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes , rinsed and chopped fine
1/2 pound penne pasta (2 1/2 cups)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
6 ounces baby spinach
ground black pepper

Directions

1. Heat the oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, sausage, and tomatoes and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.

2. Sprinkle the penne evenly over the sausage. Pour the broth and milk over the pasta. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.

3. Stir in the spinach a handful at a time, and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

6 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Pam said...

One pot wonders, I love them, this will be on the menu for Friday. I have some Scotch Bonnet sausage in the freezer and spinach in the fridge. Yum

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

That looks delish. I'm definitely going to try it. Thank you for helping me out with the dreaded "what's for dinner?" question!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh, that's quite freaky, my mind wandered off during day 3 of the 4 day workshop I'm stuck in at work at the moment, and I was reminiscing of a dish very like this! As I recall, it was yummy lol

Audrie said...

Step 4: Cram it into my mouth.

Michele said...

Yumm! I'm going to print this out and pick up what I need at the store tomorrow.

Christina Bassi said...

This one looks good too. Thanks. I needed some new recipes. Can't wait to try them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...