Monday, April 29, 2013

dress up days for a 3 year old

Someone turns three today.  And it's kind of killing me!  Her birthday always make me feel so nostalgic for some reason.  Partly because her birth coincided with our last move and by her turning 3 it signals that it's time for us to pick up and leave again.  Ugh.  Leaving is always the hardest part - yes, I am excited for our new home and another adventure.  But it breaks my heart every time I have to say good bye to friends and a place I've come to love.  But more on that later...

Look who's three!!

dress up days dress

I don't know what it is about her, but she breaks the tension, makes me laugh and smile and soothes my frazzled self when I need it. I don't know if that comes with being #3 or being doted on as the baby or what. But she's been a bright spot in the past year full of deployment stress and all of that fun stuff.
dress up days dress - twirlability
Shari from Doohikey Designs for Riley Blake sent me some of her darling Dress Up Days fabric to make babylouwho a dress. I love this pattern so much (Simplicity 5695) that this is the 3rd dress I've made with it!  It comes together so easily and is so comfortable to wear!  And easy to adapt to whatever fabric you might have on hand!

dress up days dress - fabric close up
I just love the bicycles and the flowers and the chevrons and the tiles!  It was the perfect fit for this pattern.

dress up days dress
I left the elastic out of the sleeves on this one, just for a change and I really like the way it looks!

dress up days dress
I told her a few weeks ago that she wasn't allowed to turn 3. She looked at me very seriously and said, "OK mommy. I won't turn 3". A week or so later one of my friends asked her how old she would be on her birthday and straight faced replied, "I'm not allowed to turn 3."

So excuse me while I mourn the loss of my newborn and celebrate her spunky 3 year old self!

12 crafty mcCrafters commented:

allyn said...

Can't get enough of that 3 year old. Hopefully we will be seeing more of her in the future!!!
Happy birthday babylouwho!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to her!
being nostalgic on their birthdays never goes away...good luck on your pcs

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Happy Birthday to an absolute doll! I know how hard it is to see them grow up so quickly. My granddaughter also just turned three.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your cutie! It's hard to believe so much time has gone by!

Katy Cameron said...

ROFL, love that she definitely won't be turning three. Cute dress and model

Marcia R said...

There's just something about that 3rd child! Mine will be 21 this summer, and she still brightens my days, cheers me up, amuses me, and loves me totally. God knew just what I needed. As for your frequent moves, you are simply allowing as many people as possible to share in your life. Good luck with everything! Even though goodbyes are hard, I know you will be returning to some close friends, so that must be exciting!

Rebecca Grace said...

You know, I bought that exact same dress pattern a year or so ago, with plans to sew up some dresses for my niece, and then the pattern got buried in a pile in my sewing room and I got distracted by other things. Your versions are so cute, though -- MUCH better than the pattern illustrations, so now I want to go dig out that pattern and make one of my own!

Happy birthday to your sweet little girl.

Laura said...

I absolutely adore her. What a little doll. So excited to see you guys in a month!!!!!! When can I skype with the birthday girl?

xo

EveryDay Bloom said...

"i'm not allowed to turn 3"...that's just so cute. So is her little dress. Well done!

My youngest is perfectly happy to be the baby, forever. She's 8. She refuses to believe that she will ever live anywhere but with me. I'm ok with that!

Best of luck with your upcoming changes! Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

such a sweet story about a beautiful little girl in an adorable dress. Happy Birthday Baby Lou Who

Jenny said...

Amy, she is just beautiful! I can't believe she is 3. Seriously. Wasn't she just born?? Love and miss you guys!! xo p.s. Darling dress by the way! It looks super comfy and fun!
j. mathis

Christina Bassi said...

Love that first picture. Ske looks adorable in that dress.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...