Monday, April 06, 2009

procrastinators anonymous

I have a problem. My name is Amy, and I'm a procrastinator.

I think I've mentioned it before. I have a bit of a procrastination problem. It's gotten much better, there are some things that I just do when they need to be done. Like unload the dishwasher, vacuum, laundry - because I know how to do it and it HAS to be done.

However, I've learned something about myself in the last couple of years. If I have to try something new, do something I'm not sure I can do *perfectly* the first time or have any apprehension about at all, I stall. A lot. Does anyone else have this problem?

This is my first quilting bee - I was assigned January and wasn't sure what to do for my own block. I got some beautiful blocks back from others but I kept putting mine off. Now that I've done two others, I decided to get mine done. Then I ran into a problem, my wonky log cabin got a little too wonked. I wasn't sure I had enough fabric left to square it up to the right size. So I put it aside while I mulled it over. For, like, another month!



And then when I finally did finish it up, I redid one side four or five times. Ugh.

And I finally picked a bird to put on it. I still have to top-stitch it down. But I really like how it turned out.

Hooray for the Virginia state bird!! I've always loved them.


Now if I could just figure out my sashing. I'm trying out something like this - but I'm tweaking it of course. Which means coming up with the pattern myself. Which means, I might procrastinate just a bit. Hopefully, I won't put it off too long. . .

17 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Valerie said...

I'm afraid I might have a lifetime membership in Procrastinator's Anonymous, and it might not be so anonymous...:)

I love your bird block!

Artfulife said...

Hopefully you will feel bette knowing you are not alone in the procrastinators circle. I'm terrible at doing things in a timely manner. I think most creative people are. Your block turned out great by the way.

Debbie said...

i love the bird!!! i miss you!!!

One Shabby Chick said...

I love that bird - it is so cute - and the branch too! And it's easy to stall on things that are "new" or different :-)

Unknown said...

I've done the same :) You can totally do that pane sashing! Let me know if you need any help :)

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

I am glad I am not the only one!! I do the same thing with my clay. I love a challenge, but sometimes it takes me a bit to "see" what I should do.

Sarah said...

Oh I love it!

Julie said...

This quilt block is very pretty! The bird on the branch looks very nice :)

Vanessa Contessa said...

I'm practically the president of Procrastinator's Anonymous. It's gotten to epic proportions. Except, I am your bizarro procrastinator.

For example, yesterday the floors were literally sticking to my feet, my kids had no clothes and I desperately needed to get my lights set up for a shoot today; but instead of doing any of that. I frantically worked on cutting out a dress pattern for Genevieve. Let's keep in mind that A.) I can't even sew and B.) The girl needs a new dress like she needs a hole in her head. But at least I wasn't mopping the floor :-)

Your block is adorable. The red bird against the light green is so cute!

Deisha said...

So I wish I could procrastinate on my house stuff cause then I would have so many cute little projects going like you. And that would be fun! To bad I am a little OCD in the clean house department! And even worst is that I've got a pretty great crafting area in my basement - if I actually ever spent and good time down there. I'll show it to you next time you are over to visit.

allyn said...

ahhhh. i LOVE IT. the cardinal in that print is too much. too bad you are a perfectionist. maybe that is why you must procrastinate. it looks perfect!

Mary said...

Love your block! How is this for procrastinating: I have three twin size quilts completely cut out (not sewn at all) for my three kids. Oh wait -- I have five kids now and they have come about 8 years after the other ones... just an example.

sewtakeahike said...

I wish I could say you were the only one Amy (now that wasn't very nice of me was it??) but I procrastinate doing things I'm not sure how to do too. Like this chicken I'm knitting right now.. I procrastinated a good year and this last weekend finally started it and I'm almost done now!
I love how your block is coming out and that sashing is very cool!

Unknown said...

I love your quilt square...how else would we know if it was handmade if it weren't wonked a little bit?!! It looks wonderful. Love your blog!

Hedgehog said...

I just love this block! Found you via the bloggers quilt festival. So glad!

Anonymous said...

This block is stunning! I LOVE the little bird applique you added.

Cheryl Arkison said...

I can't wait to see it all together! I've seen some of the blocks around the blogosphere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...