Saturday, February 21, 2009

cilantro: an ode to Penny. and Lolly.

Lolly is part of A Notion or Two with me. Her blog is delightful and she's always sharing cute things to download and print as well as guest recipe each Sunday. I was reading last Sunday's post and saw that Penny was the guest! Penny, from Sewtakeahike, was my partner in swapping crime last fall and I've really enjoyed getting to know her. She is sweet, kind, generous, helpful and creative! You really should check out her tutorials and the PDF downloads she has available too.

I had fun reading the interview Lolly did and found out that Penny loves cilantro! Another reason we are friends. I told her about this dressing recipe I had and that I would post it for her.


There is this place I love to eat when I go to Utah to visit my mom. It's called Cafe Rio and their pork barbacoa is, um, well, . . . I'm at a loss for words. It's incredible. It's sweet and juicy and I can never get enough. When you have it with their fresh tortillas it's like candy. You can watch them make their tortillas while you wait in line. I think I read on one of their signs that they don't even have freezers in their restaurants - everything is FRESH.

They have a dressing for their salads that's to-die-for. I've come across many recipes trying to copy their concoctions. The pork is difficult to recreate but I think I've tweaked the dressing recipe so that it comes pretty close.

It's really pretty simple. Just put the following in your blender:

1 packet buttermilk recipe ranch dressing

1/2 to 1 cup mayo (the more you use the thicker the dressing - I use less)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 bunch cilantro (stems trimmed)
5-6 pickeled jalapeno slices
5-6 tomatillos (fresh or canned)
lime juice to taste (I'm generous)


Puree until smooth,


admire it's pretty green color and dark flecks of green,

Proceed to put it on anything and everything you can get your hands on!

I love this on taco salad, tacos, nachos, as a dip, on a spoon, through a straw. You get the idea!


So Penny, I hope you enjoy this! And thank you for the award!



I can think of so many people I would like to pass this on to. So consider yourself awarded if you are reading this or find your link on my sidebar. I'm continually impressed, amazed and inspired by all the awesome things I see people doing on their blogs. Thank you all for motivating me to do the things I love to do. I love sharing them with you! I'm not sure I would be as productive without this supportive community to share with.


:::If you are interested in my reworkings of the other recipes (sweet pork, cilantro-lime rice, black beans) for the salad, leave me a comment with your email and I can send you a word doc. I don't know how to make PDFs. :::



9 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Amy said...

A few things. First: I love anything with cilantro in it. I literally just got back from the market and bought a gigantic bunch with no particular use in mind - until just now. Second: yes please. I would like the recipe for the cilantro-lime rice and black beans (not too big into pork around here) and third: I can teach you how to make a pdf anytime. Just email me if you want to learn - it's simple.

sewtakeahike said...

Amy!!! Thank-you, thank-you!! We should start a cilantro groupie club and put a button on our blogs or something. Really! I cannot wait to try this tomorrow. And ditto back at you times 10 for the things you said about me!

Rheannan said...

hey you!
so I totally have the recipe to that sweet pork if you want it!
I make it all the time when im here...and I make it everytime im home because my family is obsessed with it! (except I make it with chicken!) let me know if you want the recipe! Oh! and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that ranch... I make mine a little different though! its so DELICIOUS!

Unknown said...

We love cilantro around here too!!! It's almost always on my weekly shopping list :) Have to try this out - thanks lady!

Julie said...

That's funny. Michael Anne & I make a very similar dressing that is a little sweeter and a little less hot than Cafe Rio's. We like to refer to it as liquid gold...yummy!!!

Artfulife said...

This is one of my favorite dressing recipes! Mine is a tad bit different, but basically the same. It is so delicious on salads, fish tacos and whatever else you fancy. I would love your cilantro-lime rice recipe. It sounds delish!

Sarah said...

Oh MAN it looks good! I've got to make is pronto. Since we always seem to like the same things, it should come as no surprise that I like cilantro too! Kindred spirits I tell you.

Mary said...

Oh Cafe Rio!!! Matthew and I are always saying that we might just have to bite the bullet and open a franchise! And I always choose that dressing too, how funny is that? I did not, however, come home and try to recreate it. My MO is more the sit around and pout sort of thing.

Twila and Jon Warner Family said...

Amy Lou,
It's the spring energy emerging. I'm cleaning all the wood work in my house and clearing out my Iris beds and you're crafting and cooking. I love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...