Thursday, November 06, 2008

ode to a grocery store

Wegman's, how do I love thee? oh, let me count the ways. . .

Have you heard of Wegman's grocery store?

A new one just opened up near here several months ago and it looks as big as 2 home depots put together! I hadn't had the chance to go up there yet even though I've heard such great things about it from several people. Well, I just got back and I realize that I've found the Nirvana of grocery stores. This place is amazing! I wish I'd had my camera to take pictures. But of course, if you've been to one you know what I'm talking about. All the images in this post are from the Wegman's web site.

When I walked in I saw the beautiful enormous produce section - but I was quickly lured away by the artisan breads in the bakery. And then I started to get a little choked up seeing all the rolls, pastries and deliciousness lined up along around the corner. I felt a little like I was in France again, but even more so when I found the CHEESE SHOP. Good grief! If you are looking for it, they have it. And you will probably find something you weren't looking for but need! Like this Caramel Pecan topped Brie!

I had some really tasty Shrimp Curry salad at a friend's house a few weeks ago and was looking for it when I spied this yummy dish. Butternut Squash with Baby Spinach The lady behind the counter let me sample it and I brought some home with me that I have already polished off.


There was a picture of this dish, Butternut Squash, Apple and Gorgonzola Gratin, at the counter and I came home to look it up too. I think this will be on our Thanksgiving menu.

I was still searching for the Shrimp Curry salad when a girl that worked at the fish counter helped me out. AND she pulled a lobster out of the tank for Alison to see up close! She didn't want to touch it but as we walked away, she said she wanted to see it again. The nice girl got another one out for us and Alison tentatively ran one finger up and down it's claw and thought that was pretty cool. I thought it was cool that she took the guy out of the tank for us in the first place - I never would have thought to ask. The recipe for the shrimp salad isn't online, but trust me, it's delicious!! Shrimp, raisins, cashews in a curry dressing. Mmmmmmmm.

I was impressed too that all of their fish is fresh, not frozen (except the Chilean Sea Bass - it has a long way to travel after all) and there were so many choices! Not to mention the butcher counter with great looking steaks and stuffed chicken, pork and other prepared things.

I realize as I'm writing this that I may sound a little silly - but, I love good food and normally HATE grocery shopping. But today, my little trip inspired me to get cooking again. Ever since fall and cooler temps have rolled in I've been a great baker (un oh waistline!) and not so much with the good-for-you foods. So I think for dinner I'll roast up the brussel sprouts I bought. NO really! I'm being serious! Roasted Brussel sprouts are delicious. Just halve them up (or quarter, if they're big) and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and some fresh grated parmesan. Roast in a shallow pan at 350 stirring every 10-15 minutes until edges start turning crisp, maybe 30 minutes.

I have a recipe for a cheesecake I made last night - but that post got put on hold for this! I'm so happy! Wegman's has made my day.

8 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Sarah said...

Girlfriend, I think we must have been separated at birth! I live and BREATHE for Wegmans! My family is from Jamestown, NY and every time I go back home we make a trip to Wegmans, just to hang out. It just has the BEST atmosphere, selection, etc. Another plus about this greatest grocery store on earth (at least the one in Jamestown) is that they will stock items that you request. Example: Another thing I LOVE is Skyline Chili, a fast food chili place in Cincinatti. You can buy it canned in a limited amount of places around the country and when we asked Wegmans to stock it, they DID. And still do years later when we might be the only people in town who buy it. That's customer service I tell you!

BumbleBee Bagz said...

I love this store. From traveling all around the world I got used to alot of oriental spices and they are the ONLY place that I have found that sells them!

Deisha said...

Dito to previous comments! I go every Monday and so enjoy every moment there. Here's the best part I have done some serious price checking (including costco) Wegman's is cheaper. Can you believe that?

Hey what do you think about doing a play date next week at Wegman's - ok, it's more of a play date for the mom's but sometimes we need a perk or two.

Oh, and just to let you know that you are right in that EVERYTHING in the bakery, the cheese section as well as everything else there is DELIOUSE! My old job let spend what ever I wanted there - can you imagine and unlimited budget to shop there. Oh, the good old days.

Carla Anne said...

I love that store. And I agree with Deisha they're stuff is less expensive. It is Grocery Heaven at Wegmans!

Cara said...

They have the BEST sub sandwiches. Way better than Subways. Whenever we're feeding a crew of people we get a sub platter from Wegmans - it rocks.

Debbie said...

WOW I am so jealous we don't have one of those!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm just happy to have a 24 grocery in my little town . . . that sounds fab!

Lala said...

Hi Amy!!! We LOVE LOVE LOVE WEGMANS too... ESPECIALLY their BLUEBERRY MUFFINS (which can I say are the size of SOFTBALLS)... and their BAGELS... HEAVENLY!!!

I SO understand your LOVE... I miss my beloved UKROPS so much... but WEGMANS is a good fill in!

Lala :o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...