Thursday, March 13, 2014

what's for dinner wednesday :: Potato soup

I know it's a day late, but let's pretend it's Wednesday!

This potato soup recipe is an staple around here in winter - and we've needed lots of warm bowls of soup to keep the chill off this year!!

It starts with the trifecta of veggies - onion, celery and carrots (I left the carrots in bigger pieces last time I made it).  This is really the only way to start any soup!
And it has bacon in it - so you know it's good. 

If you have a gluten-free diet, you can use cornstarch instead of flour to thicken it.  I did this last time and it worked well.  I always stir up my cornstarch in cold liquid before I add it to the soup so it doesn't clump.  I just mixed it with some of the milk before I added it!

My kids ask for this soup weekly.

Megan's Potato Soup
chop:
1 onion
2-3 carrots
2-3 celery stalks
sautee in butter/olive oil combo

Add 6 cups water + 4 tsp/cubes chicken bouillon

Chop up 4 big-6 small potatoes and add to pot.
Cook until potatoes are soft.

In a separate pan:
Cook 6 slices of bacon.
Save grease and make a roux adding 2 Tbsp flour, cooking until golden brown.
Add to soup.

Pour in 1 can evaporated milk.
Simmer 10 more minutes.

Alternately use 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with evaporated milk and heat with bacon fat.  Then pour into soup pot - simmer 10 more minutes.

2 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Katy Cameron said...

Bacon makes everything great :oD

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I agree with Katy, if it has bacon in it it must be good :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...