Friday, October 01, 2010

sew & tell - curtains revisted

I've been thinking about the idea that's discussed a lot that only the polished and perfect are what people show on their blogs.  I hope that by now you all now I am not always a perfectionist, but I still don't like to admit to the messes I inevitably make or ignore.  In a spirit of coming clean and keeping it real, I haven't cropped these pictures down. Now you can see what a house with 3 small children and a mom who would rather sew than pick-up every minute of the day looks like.

I had a pretty productive sewing week.  I've had projects laying around that just needed to be made so I wouldn't have to figure out where to store the materials anymore!

I whipped up another small tote for a neighbor's 3rd birthday party.  
I LOVE this Henna print. I *need* to buy it in every color!  Have you seen the new muted colors from Meadowsweet 2?
Please wear responsibly.

*****
Boy fabric is hard to come by and I finally had an excuse to make this into a blanket for my friend Shayna who had her baby this week!  I love minky and camo together.  Such drama!  Such contrast!

For the record, I am a total minky snob.  I won't buy the knock-offs that are, admittedly, cheaper.  It doesn't seem to hold up as well.  Fabric.com has a great selection of the real stuff and you can always get a coupon and free shipping.
*****

Ever since my friend and interior designer, Heidi, helped me with my collage wall, I've wanted to get the curtains up in my dining room.  The rods were laying around and bugging me.  One of the curtains was already made and I just needed to make the casing on the other one.  I made one of these last year (Sept. 3) for my very first sew & tell post!  I didn't realize that I was going to be able to share them again just one year later!  At the time I cut both curtains out but never used the other one.  I put the rod up and realized it they were long enough if I let out the hem.  So did.  And I serged the edges.  And they hang just like that.  And you are the only ones who know...
And yes, that is a tray hanging on the wall over there.  I'm going to show you what I did. I just have to get the post written.  It might be a while!


NEW RULES FOR LINKING UP!  I'll explain more later.  Please read carefully.
1. One linky per person of a sewing project. 
2. Link to your specific post.  (See here for permalink instructions - or email me.)
3. Please write the post for sew & tell - or add a blurb mentioning sew & tell to a post written earlier in the week.
4. Link back here with a link or a button.
5. Comment away!
I have a back-to-school post I'm writing about sew & tell.  Bottom line, I want to make sure every minute you spend here is worthwhile!  My teacher-self from a former life is coming back to crack down!  (No smiling until Christmas.  hehe)

My husband is getting promoted today!  So I will be pinning on his new ranks this morning, but I'll be around to visit you all later.  How about another Marine Corps 101 post?

What sewing project did you finish this week?

21 crafty mcCrafters commented:

allyn said...

i'm up early today, even though there is a one hour delay. i love your messy house and your lovely dining room. love the new table. a. looks pretty dangerous with that bag across her shoulder. love the sandy henderson and camo for boys.

have a lovely weekend. i'm going swimming, i mean camping tonight.

Sarah Craig said...

Great finishes, Amy! I particularly love the curtains - I need to make new curtains myself! They always make a room look so fresh....

Miri said...

Curtains look great! Oh I just love that bag...so cute!

Unknown said...

hi amy! i'm new to your sew-n-tell party. yep, it's my first time. you had an amazingly productive week, and I particularlyblove your curtains. i made one too! :)

thanks for having me!

jednoiglec said...

This week I finished a little quiled picture (with a star). Great that Sew&Tell is on:)

kristie said...

i love the baby boy blanket. LOVE it. your curtain story cracked me up and thanks for keeping it real with the pictures - it makes me feel better about myself cause i thought i was the only messy person on the internets :-)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your house doesn't look messy at all. You've got lots of great finishes for the week. Love the curtains!

Natalia from Piece N Quilt said...

You've been busy! I love the little bag and curtains and boy blanket! :)

beth said...

thanks for "keepin' it real". Great finishes and congrats to your husband. Have a lovely morning.

Heidi said...

Those curtains look amazing...really, I got short of breath when I saw the picture! I also like the 'keeping it real' pictures and the comment about how you would rather sew then clean. That was beautiful - Loves...

Twinfibers said...

I agree.... sewing is much more fun than cleaning up toys from all over the house! :)

pinksuedeshoe said...

Be still my henna loving heart! Love that bag, and the bits under it. Makes me want to buy every piece of henna to be found on etsy.

ktquilts said...

Shhhhh, don't tell, but I am hoarding a whole yard of each henna garden for a special quilt!!! Love what you have done this week, all of it. I like your curtains even better knowing that they are serged!!!

Karen said...

How cute is that bag! I am not a big fan of the camo but the fabric you have used is great. Quite soft and perfect for a baby boy. I definitely don't run around picking up all the time either. It wastes too much energy which can be better utilised sewing. And I like the new rules. Thank you. Now I had better get busy so I actually have something to post about next week.

Rene' said...

Congratulations on your husband's promotion!!! Well done! Love all your finishes this week. Enjoy the weekend!

SewSara said...

it's true -- not all minky is made alike!

i like how simple and cute that shoulder bag is ... i bet my little girl would love something like that.

thanks again for the link up!

Oh Sew Addicted said...

Your curtains are fabulous and I love all the black and white in the room! I love it :)
carla louise
www.ohsewaddicted.com

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Nice! Wow, you were busy this week! Love that bag, did you use ribbon for the strap? Nice curtains, wish I could make myself do some!

sewtakeahike said...

Amy, your house looks so wonderful and full of light!!! You really have gotten your sewing mojo back haven't you? That camo minky blanket is sweet!!!
And congrats on your husband's promotion. What an honor for you to be able to pin him. Make sure and tell him congratulations for me, would you?

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

lovely projects - but it does make me giggle - in the UK (at least where I live) a minky is a girl's front botttom!!!!! I am guessing the fabric is what we call Chenille?

Benta@SLIKstitches.co.uk

Andrea said...

Boy fabrics are hard to come by! I love how minky feels but the knock offs are so much easier to sew!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...