Monday, June 01, 2009

weekend sewing and gardening

Do you ever get so many projects going on in your head that you can't keep organized the projects you are actually doing - not to mention fixing meals, keeping the toys picked up, the kitchen cleaned and children happy? Oh man, I've been feeling a little more than disheveled lately. It's gardening season and I have all these sewing projects I want to finish too. But I find that I really can only do one project a day - and I have to figure out how to squeeze that in the middle of being a mother and homemaker. Does anyone have the secret? In the meantime, until I get it all figured out, I guess I'll just continue on in my happy creative messes!

And really, aren't these just happy fabrics!? I keep checking my reader for Week 3s instructions for Dana's Quilt-along. I finally got the strips cut out last night. Can't wait to start putting them together!


*****
A friend of mine asked me to help her make a bag for her oldest daughter who just had her first baby. I love the fabric they chose.

We spent a nice afternoon together chatting and sewing. And she made a beautiful bag! I love working with other people on projects. The way everyone sees things differently I get to do things I wouldn't have typically done myself.

You may have noticed that I'm drawn to bold patterns and bright colors - but I love this simple polka dot in a subdued turquoise and brown. So classic.

I have a bag problem. I really do want to keep every. single. one.

*****
Lastly - the garden. I was really tired of looking at this when I came home.


It used to look even worse - with clover and NO plants. I'm looking forward to those hydrangeas, gladiolas, and dahlias blooming.

But I needed some instant color. So one trip to the nursery and I came home with this!

And now that sad little patch looks just a little bit brighter. And who knew plants went on clearance? I got petunias for 25 cents for a 6 pack! Nice! And only because they were OVERwatered. I've let them dry out a bit....

This is my favorite spot. I love the bright orange and pink zinnias!

I can't wait to see it all as it grows and fills in! It's making me happier already.

13 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Sarah said...

I gardened all weekend too! Love your plants!

Unknown said...

fun! her post is up, just not in the reader yet! :(

I love the bag - that is my favorite dot, I think I need more . . . your stacks of ginger blossom are so pretty!

One Shabby Chick said...

What a fun little space to look at now! And I know exactly how you feel - so much to do, so little time. Not to mention the fact that you are having to be mom and dad for a while!

Julie said...

love the flowers! Very pretty. :)

Andi said...

Great bag.
And your colourful patch of garden looks just wonderful.
Andi :-)

Debbie said...

love the garden

The Letteer Family said...

It's amazing what a difference a colorful flower or two can make. They're beautiful! Good deal!

randi said...

Love the bag! I am sure it will be a hit with the new mom!

Megan Young said...

The flower garden turned out awesome. Sorry I wasn't there to get my hands dirty. Laurie's bag turned out really cute.

Mary said...

Oh, those stacks of fabric are SO pretty. Hey, I just bought some zinnias this morning. Usually I keep the seed heads from the year before, but didn't get to it last fall, so I broke down and bought the full-blown plant. It is easier that way... Love your garden!

Jen said...

I love the lining of that brown/blue polka dotted bag. What fabric is that, do you know?

tara said...

Nice selection for the quilt along.

sewtakeahike said...

your garden looks great Amy! I love those bright colors too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...