Saturday, April 25, 2009

how many pictures of tulips do you really want?

I have lots of things I want to write about, like some fabric orders I got, a few bags I've been working on, etc. But I went on a breakfast field trip with my friend Megan and her daughter to D.C. yesterday. I wouldn't have even known to go see the tulips if it weren't for this post on my friend Charlotte's blog. (if you like photography, she is amazing!! - and don't compare our pics - she's a professional, for obvious reasons!)

Have I mentioned how much I love this city and how beautiful it is?


The Netherlands Carillon by the Iwo Jima Memorial was a gift to the U.S. from the Netherlands in thanks for the aid given during and after WWII (didn't know you were going to get a history lesson today, did you?)

Next to peonies, tulips are my favorite flowers. So if you tire of tulip shots, I won't be offended if you leave now. . . .

oh! You're still here? Okay then. I don't know the names of all the varieties, so I came up with my own.


Blood Oranges

Lemon Creme

Blackberry Sorbet

Frilly Pink

Dutch Master (the Dutch liked to paint flowers)


And just in case you made it this far, here's a non-tulip shot. These red bud trees are lovely - they bloom near the end of the cherry blossoms and carry us through until the dogwoods are open. They are so shockingly purple from a distance and pink up close.



and this has nothing to do with flowers - we just had a foggy morning the other day and I wanted to see how a pic into the sun would turn out, kind of cool, huh? I'm always fascinated with the silhouettes of the bare trees in my backyard.

I promise, the next post will have something to do with flowers on fabric. Most likely with a gratuitious Amy Butler shot.

14 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Charlotte Geary said...

Fabulous! They are truly gorgeous shots, Amy! I'm really glad I inspired you to go see the tulips, because it's such a fun spot to go visit.

I love the frilly pink ones! I don't think I saw them when I was there. They remind me of peonies, which are my favorite flowers, too. :)

The Letteer Family said...

They're beautiful pictures!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Absolutely beautiful pictures!! Loved all of them!

One Shabby Chick said...

Beautiful - we don't have flowers like that here so I loved them all (and even your fake names) :-)

Amber

Dana said...

beautiful! one can never have too many tulips. in my world anyway!

sewtakeahike said...

I love them all Amy! Thanks for the springy photos, we still don't have much in the way of spring here, we may get a little snow tonight. The last two shots are my favs, that redbud shot is almost giving me a sugar high!

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Beautiful! Tulips are my favorite too. Something to do with my origin maybe? Lovely pictures.

Unknown said...

I LOVE tulips! Mine just opened today finally and then it rained and rained.

Your pictures are BEAUTIFUL you are getting to be a pro!!!

Laura said...

We really are soul mates--peonies are my favorites too. My florist was amazing and somehow hunted down pink peonies for my December wedding.

Also, that last picture . . . are you kidding me? I can't believe you took that. It is SO gorgeous. See you in TWO WEEKS!

Alexis said...

I love tulips too! Your pictures were all so beautiful. I miss how pretty things are in DC! We are now surrounded by lots of dirt and sagebrush. :)

allyn said...

i love tree silhouettes also! we are so twins. i also love flower pictures. they fascinate me to no end. thank you for the artistic shots.

Jenny said...

The lemon creme's, of course, are my favorite. Love the photography! Nice work!

Cheryl Arkison said...

What I wouldn't do to see some flowers blooming right now!

Karen said...

I do love the tulips.
The last shot is beautiful. Blow it up and frame it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...