Sunday, March 29, 2009

march quilt block and another quick project

I love being part of a quilting bee! This block is for Sarah of A Flower for You. She requested some texture. My group, A Notion or Two, has only been going three months and already I've learned so many new things.

Things like - how awesome all the people in my group are, how to do a wonky log cabin, how to "applique", and this month - Honeycomb Smocking! I saw this first on Creative Little Daisy. I looked over the tutorial and thought it didn't look that hard. And it really wasn't! I'm so glad I risked it - I think it turned out pretty great. This is something I never would have tried a few years ago. And I still dragged my feet on it - that's why it wasn't done 2 weeks ago when I first saw it!

I will say ironing and starching the pleats were probably the most difficult. But once you get into a rhythm even that's not bad. Starching is a must it makes handstitching the design so much easier.



Another thing I love about being in a quilting bee is how much I've been challenged. I wouldn't really call myself a quilter - I haven't ever done traditional quilt blocks. Most of the things I've done were strip pieced and scrappy. So it's been great to get past my apprehension to try new things and realize I actually CAN do this. Thanks ladies (and gent)! I'm loving it! Can't wait to see what the rest of the year has in store.


*****
We had a birthday party to attend on Saturday morning - to include in the gift, I whipped up this little headband that I think is darling. I need to make another one for the model you see here.


click on the photo to see the reverse

14 crafty mcCrafters commented:

AmyF Hackworth said...

Wow, Amy, I love that block!! This is so great! I adore the fabrics and I'm so impressed with the smocking. Really inspiring!!

sewtakeahike said...

Nice smocking Amy! I've always been drawn to smocking but have been apprehensive to try, don't think I'll have the patience. I could be wrong though, right? I should just try it! Your block is very nice!

sewtakeahike said...

p.s. NICE photos! The color is fabulous and they are so crisp!

Debbie said...

you are amazing...

Debbie said...

ok I was just reading and catching up on your blog...how do you get soooo lucky????? congrats!

Ellis Family said...

I also love that block! If I had a quilt, that would be exactly what I would want! You're awesome!

Jen said...

I have had that smocking link saved forever ... I need to try it.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

That smocking is fabulous! Love it with that fabric. That headband is also cute and your model did a fabulous job!

Rheannan said...

how cute is that headband!
I want one! :)
you'll ahve to teach me how to make them the next time I'm home! :)

Unknown said...

Love your block! I thought about smocking too, but opted for the faster machine made tucks :) it looks great!! your headband is adorable too :)

Jessica Levitt said...

That smocking is FANTASTIC! Thanx for pointing me to the tutorial. I'm totally going to have to try that...

The block looks great.

Lala said...

Hi Amy!!! WOW... that is a FABULOUS block!!! I've seen quite a bit of the "smocking" of blocks lately... you did a GREAT JOB!!!

We're "into" headbands now here... so I'll have to put it on my list!!!

Lala :o)

Sarah said...

Very impressive, missy!

Julie said...

What a cute little model!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...