Friday, October 19, 2007

Brain, Child Magazine

My friend gave me a subscription to this great magazine Brain, Child that I like to call the New Yorker for Mom's. It's full of essays, articles and features relating to the world of motherhood - well, Parenthood, really. It's subtitle is, The Magazine for Thinking Mothers. Half the time I feel like my brain doesn't work and reading each issue makes me feel a teeensy bit smarter. I also love that it is published out of Charlottesville, VA and that it only comes quarterly. So I actually get it read before the next one comes!

One of my favorite sections is where readers write in to answer a question. This month's question was "What lies have you told your children to avoid explaining something you weren't quite ready to address?" The following response I thought was hysterical, and maybe it's because I am pregnant and my body has been taken over by this little guy.

Parting Gift

I've always tried to make it a policy to be straight with my kids. My son's first word was "dog," followed closely by "mama," his sister's name, and "Kotex."

However, not long after he was born, my then two-and-a-half-year-old daughter was watching as I got out of the shower. She looked at me closely and said, "Mommy, you have a really big butt." Without hesitating, I told her that when you leave the hospital after having a baby, they give you the baby to take home along with a big butt. All mommies get one. She looked pretty skeptical until I added that every grown-up's butt looked big compared to hers.

Read more responses to this question here.

If you would like to explore the current issue you can click over to their site here.

0 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...