Tuesday, July 14, 2009

le 14 juillet

otherwise known as Bastille Day! It's not really a secret that I love France. French things, french style, FRENCH FOOD. Okay, maybe really it's just the things they do with butter, sugar and flour that entice me. But one of my favorite memories of my time in France and Belgium was the crepes. Especially the ones eaten across the river from the Eiffel Tower filled with bananas and nutella, by far my all time favorite filling.

image via
cafe triskell

Because today is the French national holiday I dedicate this post to all my dear friends and a dear country that I love! And, I wanted to share with you my recipe for crepes. Pretty simple really, just takes a little practice in the cooking...

Crepes!
3 eggs
Vanilla (to taste)
1 Cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar (optional - I actually rarely use it.)
1 1/3 Cup milk
1 Tbsp oil


Blend eggs and milk together in a blender. Slowly add flour while mixing (this will make the batter smooth – not lumpy). Add vanilla, sugar and oil.

Heat crepe pan or 10" skillet over med-high heat (on the lower end). Lightly spray pan with cooking spray. Pour (about) ¼ C. batter in the center of the pan and swirl it until it covers the bottom. Let cook until a shake of the pan releases the crepe and it slides easily over the surface. Flip using a spatula or a flick of the wrist!

As you cook the crepes stack them on a plate or foil. To keep warm until serving wrap tightly in foil and let sit in a warm oven. They can also be frozen and reheated.

image via
cafe triskell
Fill with yummy stuff! Such as:
Nutella (with bananas!) Lemon juice and sugar
Jam Fresh fruit
Ice cream and chocolate sauce Applesauce
Smashed bananas cooked with brown s ugar
AND the whipped cream!!

I hope you don't get this too late in the day to join in celebrating with me and having them for dessert! If you do - let me know how you like them!

12 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Laura said...

I love this recipe. Ever since you gave it to me, I have been making them. I found the lemon juice with sugar especially delicious (and easy since I always have that on hand). Mmmm, thanks!

buttercup said...

Vive la France! Lets go buy and restore a 400 year-old French cottage together in honor OK?

One Shabby Chick said...

ok those looks so delicious - may have to try some when I'm back on the cooking side of things :-)

Jenny said...

Mmm, maybe this can be our next cooking lesson ... ;) Looks tasty!

Dana said...

I've never tried to make crepes. I guess I'm intimidated or something. Yours look wonderful!

BumbleBee Bagz said...

I hear you on the Nutella. I grew up in Saudi Arabia and we used to eat it there all the time. I finally found some in the store here a couple of years back and now my boys love to eat it!

Julie said...

Oooo, they look delicious!!! We'll have to give them a try, sounds easy enough but I've heard that they really are tricky. :)

sewtakeahike said...

Hi Amy! So honestly, are they hard to do? I've always been kinda scared to try! And now I have to get some Nutella. I've seen it before, but have never tried it. You've convinced me!

Unknown said...

You are making me hungry! But I was thinking of making pancakes for the girls for breakfast - maybe I should give these a try!? I have a nice ss pan that size - would it work?

Debbie said...

yummy!!!

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

these look so beautiful and delicious!

Bill and Mandy Guidry said...

I miss your crepes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...