Thursday, July 23, 2009

a bridal shower

I mentioned in a previous post that I am going to a wedding in South Carolina next week. Over the last weekend I got to play a small part in throwing a shower for the bride-to-be. It was so much fun! And thanks to the hard work of my friend Jen, the house looked gorgeous and the food was awesome! Not that I would have expected anything less.

I threw some simple invitations together with the ink I had left in my printer and paper I had on hand. They inspired the colors for the decorations. I love the way it looked! (luckily Jen had some ribbon and white cardstock to dress one up for a keepsake.) I made some cake balls a la Bakerella for favors. They were lemon cake dipped in white chocolate. You can sort of see them in their cellophane bags under the invite.

Tissue pom poms, by Martha, adorned the windows.



An assortment of little sandwiches: curried chicken, waldorf chicken, and the quintessential crustless cucumber. (thanks to Jen for the recipes, found below)

Why yes, this salad did taste as good as it looks! Blueberries, strawberries, candied almonds, feta and mixed greens. She used Brianna's blush wine vinaigrette. That's my kind of salad. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sit down with that bowl all to myself.

Really, who doesn't love a fruit kabob? (Even if the picture is blurry!)

I loved that she reused these lemonade bottles instead of pitchers. I thought they looked so cute!

And I've not jumped on the cupcake-love wagon, preferring more traditional pastry type desserts, but I have to say, these. were. AMAZING. I had blueberry-lemon and I can barely talk about it with bursting into tears of joy. They were from local bakery Baked and Wired.

We had so much fun celebrating our dear friend! Can't wait for the wedding. Did I mention that I'm going sans kids? I think I will be sleeping a lot. Not DURING the wedding of course. Just in the car.


The Recipes

Minty Cucumber Sandwiches

1 8oz. Cream Cheese1 Stick Butter
3-4 T. Fresh Mint (minced)
1 tsp. Fresh Tarragon (minced)
1-2 tsp. lime juice
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 cucumbers, sliced
Sliced bread

Blend ingredients until creamy. Spread over bread of your choice, followed by one layer of sliced cucumbers, cut off crust. You can make these as open faced or close faced sandwiches.


Chicken Salad Sandwiches

Waldorf

1 lb. cooked chicken (minced)
½- ¾ C Mayonnaise
½ Celery (minced)
3-4 Green Onions (minced)
¼ C Dried Currants or Craisins
¼ C Slivered Almonds
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 T. Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste


Curry Chicken

1 lb. cooked chicken (minced)
½- ¾ C Mayonnaise
½ Celery (minced)
3-4 Green Onions (minced)
¼ C Raisins
¼ C Slivered Almonds (optional)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tsp. Curry Powder

Mix and adjust to taste.


12 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Looks divine!

Sarah said...

Love it all!

Unknown said...

I just had lunch, but now I'm wishing I could go to the store to buy all of those ingredients I don't have! Yum - So excited that you have a weekend "off" - enjoy yourself!!

Julie said...

Very pretty, I love the lemonade bottles as well. Looks yummy & so pretty :)

Deisha said...

I think it is amazing that the majority of your friends can host these awesome parties...you in such good company!

Alexis said...

Everything looks so good! I love the invitations too, they are so cute!

sewtakeahike said...

Everything looks so fabulous Amy! I just found those cupcake cups on bake it pretty, now I think I need to order some! They are very unique! That salad looks magnificent too!

Allyson said...

I loved the decorations and colors of the Bridal Shower. Thanks for the recipes. I'll have to try the curried chicken ones soon. Have fun on your trip!

ALlyson in Alaska
fatcatquilts.typepad.com

Debbie said...

oh yummy...love the colors

Trish said...

Great colors! Great food! Great fun! {jealous} Thanks for sharing the recipes!!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog...love it! I want to have a party now!

Jenny said...

Thanks for posting the recipes! I'm co-hosting a shower soon, and I'll be sure to refer back to this post for ideas! The salad looks DELISH. I might make it soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...