Wednesday, September 17, 2008

are you nice?

I just found another blog: Operation Nice It's such an inspiring place to visit. Lots of stories about people being just that, Nice! If you support this idea, you can get a nifty button for your blog like the new one I have over there on the left. Just click on it and it will take you to the site.

I thought I would share a little story about a random act of niceness of which I was the recipient.

It was the Christmas of 2004, my husband and I had gotten married the spring of that year and he had left for Iraq 3 months later. It was kind of a bummer (understatement) to be apart our first Christmas as married folk. I was doing some Christmas shopping and having lunch with a friend at a nearby outlet mall. We were driving around the parking looking for a parking space (did I mention it was Christmas time?). I came upon one that was right next to the sidewalk, but not anywhere near where I needed to be. A guy in a VW drove up from another side and I waved him in so he could have the spot.

Guy (waving at me): Hey, Thanks a lot!
Me (driving a VW too): No problem, we VW drivers have to look out for each other!

And on I went. I found a spot and went in to a little place to have lunch. When I came out to get in my car there was something on the windshield. I was worried it was a parking ticket. But when I took the paper off and looked at it, I saw is was a Starbuck's gift card with a note that said, "Thanks for the parking space. Merry Christmas!" Can you believe it!? How NICE was that guy? He must have walked around until he found my car just to put that card on it. He had no idea I was perpetually sad and missing my husband, but he really made my day.

I kept that card to remind me. I'd almost forgotten about that story until I happened upon this blog today. Do you have a NICE story? Let's hear it!

5 crafty mcCrafters commented:

Shannon said...

Sometimes Jaron will just randomly stop on the way to work and get us a diet coke (usually when they are 1/2 price or something but a gift's a gift! :) There's not a lot of gifts that I love as much as diet coke. I find that to be very nice. Not as nice as your story but it truly warms my heart.

One more....on Sunday when I was sick, my mama brought me a 7-up and then let herself get sucked into North & South w/me for an hour (we never watch tv together). It was awesome. :)

Ellis Family said...

Is there a MEAN button? I might need that one instead! HAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jenny said...

oh so very many nice stories! hmm, i can think of one ... you introducing me to my sweet hubby. :) i love the concept of "pay it forward." your story about the giftcard and the note really inspired me! I love people like that.

Melissa said...

Thanks so much for posting about my site! I'm so glad you like it! Your story is AMAZING! I'd never think to do something like that, but it's such a sweet idea. I definitely have to keep that in my back pocket for future use. :-) Thanks again!

Debbie said...

I love that!!! What a nice guy! I will check out the website! I love your website!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...