Monday, March 24, 2008

What? No more T.V.???!


We couldn't live without the internet, but we decided we could live without TV. Mind you, we still have our t.v., just no more cable/sattelite. We had talked about not even hooking it up when we moved here a year and a half ago, but got sucked into an introductory plan. But now we've decided that we waste too much time watching things we aren't THAT interested in. I will miss the Food Network and Alton Brown, America's Test Kitchen, Dr. Oz and Ellen. But we can watch LOST online and get the DVDs of the Office. (and thanks to Carla and her DVR I can finish out the season of The Biggest Loser). In the 3 days it's been off, it's amazing the things I've gotten done and how much less zoned I feel from get sucked into the tube everyday. I've even almost finished my book for book club on Wednesday and I just started it on Friday. Another post about it later - it's a funny read.

Besides our own reasons behind it (including saving time and $50 a month), here is a great article that motivated us to actually do it.
Living Without Television by Christopher Westley

5 crafty mcCrafters commented:

TheAkersFam said...

I AM SO IMPRESSED! I love the idea of doing that, but am not quite sure I could work it out. While I work from home, my kids play upstairs in their playroom but also watch some TV to keep them occupied. I supposed I could just do DVDs instead of paying for the cable/satellite.

Kudos to you! Your life is going to be so much fuller!

Julie said...

That is pretty awesome. I'd love to do it too but I think I'd have a mutiny on my hands! My sweet husband and stepson are way too "plugged in" to everything and I have to admit I'd miss some things for a while too.

Jenny said...

Wow - what a great article! I loved his writing style and he had so many valid points. I'm proud of you and Nick for biting the bullet and doing it!

joyful704 said...

you are so ready to move to okinawa. the AFN channels here made giving up TV sooo easy! If I am lucky I maybe catch an oprah once a week!

Debbie said...

we don't have cable either if it makes you feel any better. i love it!!!! my kids play more and my husband is not glued to the tv.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...